Hello, and welcome to my website/blog. In case we haven’t met yet, my name is Bronwen Aker, I have been an Internet professional since before it was cool and have experience in web design and development, technical training, and public speaking. These days, however, I work in cybersecurity. The transition started several years ago when I returned to college full-time to pursue a degree in cybersecurity. Now that the bachelor’s degree is in the bag, I’m working on my master’s!
Shortly after returning to school, I applied for and was accepted into the 2nd ever SANS CyberTalent Immersion Academy for Women. Courtesy of that program, I now possess three GIAC certifications related to different aspects of cybersecurity. I’ll be adding more to the collection, but these are a good beginning.
I also work as a contractor for a variety of cybersecurity companies, including Black Hills Information Security. My work for these companies varies from helping students learn more about cybersecurity, to editing pentest and vulnerability assessment reports, to doing penetration tests and vulnerability assessments myself. There is always more to learn, and the companies I work for and with have amazing people on their teams who are happy to share what they know.
Other minutiae includes the following:
- I’m a geek, and have been since long before it was cool.
- I’m a well-trained human, equally fond of dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and other critters of various shapes and sizes.
- I like Star Wars and Star Trek.
- Of course Han shot first.
- The Answer is 42.
- Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Scientific method can be applied to anything.
- There is no such thing as too many books.
Updated: 27 October 2020